28 January 2021

Harkness Memorial State Park
275 Great Neck Road
Waterford, CT 06385
(860) 443-5725

The property owned by Edward and Mary Harkness included the mansion (their summer home) ‘Eolia’, and 200 acres of working farmland. Between the years of 1918 and 1929, Beatrix Farrand redesigned the West Garden and created the East Garden, the Boxwood Parterre and the Alpine Rock Garden. The property was left to the State of Connecticut in 1950, with the gardens being restored and replanted respecting the original landscape plans.